Estrogen affects the growth, differentiation, and function of numerous tissues throughout the female body—not just those involved in reproduction. Various lifestyle and environmental factors can influence estrogen production, metabolism, and balance. These include poor diet, obesity, excess alcohol consumption, certain medications, life stages (e.g., perimenopause), and overexposure to certain chemicals. Genetics are also at play.
In this infographic, you will learn about:
- The functions of estrogen in the body
- Modifiable lifestyle factors that impact estrogen levels
- The physiology of the hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal (HPG) axis
- Reference ranges for key hormones
- Potential causes and symptoms of estrogen dysregulation