“In regards to MS being regarded as progressive and degenerative, I started to ask myself, how much healing is possible.”
– Terry Wahls, MD
Listen to the podcast below
Terry Wahls, MD challenges the conventional medical view that MS is progressive and degenerative and shares her personal journey with MS, which is a shining example that healing is possible. This riveting story reveals how a once-conservative academic internal medicine doctor came into direct conflict with the very material she was meant to teach her med students and had to find new answers to medically “unsolvable” problems.
Terry Wahls, MD is a clinical professor at the University of Iowa, where she conducts clinical trials testing the efficacy of therapeutic lifestyle to treat multiple sclerosis-related symptoms. In addition, she is the author of The Wahls Protocol: How I Beat Progressive MS Using Paleo Principles and Functional Medicine and the cookbook The Wahls Protocol Cooking for Life: The Revolutionary Modern Paleo Plan to Treat All Chronic Autoimmune Conditions.
This podcast covers:
- The relationship between mitochondrial health and neurodegenerative diseases
- How personalized lifestyle medicine can play a huge role in disease management
- How to address the lack of training medical doctors receive around lifestyle and nutrition
- The importance of being able to motivate change as a healthcare provider
- The success Dr. Wahls has had with her protocol in the traumatic brain injury clinic
- The establishment of the Therapeutic Lifestyle Clinic
- How diet, sleep, and movement are the keys to success with functional medicine
- Dr. Wahls’ advice to medical doctors stuck in the allopathic model
- And much more
Access the Extensive Show Notes
There’s simply not enough time in these episodes to provide all the actionable takeaways you need to put this discussion into action. Get the detailed show notes for details on how the approaches discussed differ from the conventional standard of care, ways to put these ideas into practice, and to go deeper using links to our guest, to research and related studies, and much more.
Sara Gottfried, MD
Sara Gottfried, MD is a board-certified gynecologist and physician scientist. She graduated from Harvard Medical School and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and completed residency at the University of California at San Francisco. Over the past two decades, Dr. Gottfried has seen more than 25,000 patients and specializes in identifying the underlying cause of her patients’ conditions to achieve true and lasting health transformations, not just symptom management.
Dr. Gottfried is a global keynote speaker who practices evidence-based integrative, precision, and Functional Medicine. She recently published a new book, Brain Body Diet, and has also authored three New York Times bestselling books: The Hormone Cure, The Hormone Reset Diet, and Younger.