Robert Martindale, MD proposes that we have been so lost in trying to prevent inflammation that we have forgotten about the resolution of inflammation.
Resolution is an active process. Anti-inflammation is not equivalent to Pro-Resolution. SPMs are lipid compounds isolated in many human tissues during inflammation.
1) Chemically synthesized in lab and in vivo
2) Injected into humans at physiologic doses
3) Inflammation resolves faster – mimics natural healing
4) Prevents transition to chronic inflammation
5) Increases bacterial and viral killing, decreases need antibiotics
6) In some tissues stimulates “regeneration”
Robert G. Martindale, MD, PhD, Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, Oregon
Presented at ASPEN CNW 2016 in Austin, Texas on January 18, 2016